If you are looking for the best progressive reloading press then you are in the right place. Before jump into the best selections lets debunk some facts.
Believe it or not, ammunition manufacturers rake in a whopping $13.5 billion worth of annual revenue. And that’s not all, from this annual revenue the manufacturers earn $1.15 billion in profits. On the other hand, gun and ammunition stores earn $478 million in profits annually.
So, what is the secret behind these statistics?
Well when you consider that there are over 10 million firearms in use, the statistics start to make sense. After all, all these guns need a steady supply of ammunition. Fortunately, if you do not want to visit your local gun store for ammo on a regular basis, there is an alternative. The alternative to buying ammunition on a regular basis is making your own.
You ask, well with the best progressive reloading press of course. The latter is a piece of hardware that you can use to assemble your gun cartridge from scratch. With a reloading press keeps you from spending huge amounts of money on ammo.
However, finding the best progressive press for the money is not as easy as it sounds. With the wide variety of presses available on the market, pinpointing the best can be difficult. In this review, I will share with you the features to look out for in a press. Also, I have compiled a list of six progressive reloading press reviews.
Quick Look Of Todays Top Progressive Reloading Press
Last update on 2024-01-28 / Please note that Prices and Availability Are Subject To Change /Paid links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
As I have already stated finding the best automatic reloading press can be difficult. This is especially since different presses offer different features. When writing this review, I relied heavily on user reviews. This is with the aim of giving you a better understanding of what people are saying about different presses. Also, I have taken into account expert opinions on different presses. Additionally, I have used some of the progressive reloading press in this review article. Thus, I have also added my own personal experience in this article.
N.B: The reloading scale is one of the most important complimentary product for the reloading press. Learn more about the best reloading scale if you want to know which one will suits you.
Things To Consider When Buying A Progressive Reloading Press
The best progressive reloading press has to be durable enough to serve you for a good number of years. Therefore, check the material used to make a press before settling on one. I recommend sticking to presses made from cast steel, stainless steel, and rugged polymer plastics.
These materials are able to withstand the force and pressure that comes with the process of making a bullet.
The Type Of Ammo You Use
Different progressive reloading presses are designed for reloading different cartridges. Thus, while some are designed for making shotgun shells, others are designed for making bullet cases. As such, make sure the press you settle on is built for reloading the specific type of ammo you use. If you want to learn more about the best case prep centers then check out the post from the link.
Ease Of Use And Assembling
One of the main disadvantages of progressive reloading presses is that they have a lot of moving parts and are thus heavy. In this regard, these types of presses can be difficult to assemble and use. Therefore, when shopping for a progressive reloading press go for one that is easy to use and assemble.
Ideally, the best reloading press needs to have permanent features. This reduces the amount of time spent putting different parts together. Also, I recommend a press that does not entail a lot of processes. Essentially, pulling down the handle should be sufficient to get things done. This means the indexing of shell plates and insertion of cases should be mechanical.
How many bullets can you make in an hour? This is the question that you need to ask yourself when shopping for a press. Of course, the number of bullets made in an hour will depend on how experienced you are. All the same, some press brands give you an estimate of how many bullets you can make in an hour. Try to get a press’ reloading rate from user reviews and manufacturers’ websites. This way you will have an idea of which press is best for you.
There are bunch of reloading kit available in the market and some of them are really good to have. If you want to know which are those you can find it out from here: Top Reloading press kit that mustn’t missed.
Best Progressive Reloading Press Reviews
Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Auto Progressive Press
Not everyone can afford the Dillon Precision XL650 regardless of how good it is. Fortunately, for us, Hornady Lock N Load offers high-quality reloading presses at affordable prices. One of my favorite Hornady Lock N Load presses is the Auto-Progressive Reloading Press. This press has many features that I love, but the one that has earned it number two on my list is the bushing systems. This system allows me to quickly change dies depending on the caliber I want. With such features, sometimes it’s hard to believe that I got this press in a groundbreaking deal.
- Quick Change Lock N load Bushing systems: This system allows you to quickly change the dies based on the caliber you are working on
- Case activated powder drop: This feature ensures that powder is only dispensed when there is a case present. This helps you conserve powder and also improves the press’ safety
- EZject system: This system ejects all cartridges once they are done, this makes removal of cartridges easy and minimizes chances of damage to the cartridges
- Automatic Indexing system: This system speeds up the production of cartridges
- Large capacity hopper is capable of accommodating a large number of cases.
- Produces cartridges quickly thanks to its automatic indexing system
- Is built to be stable and durable
- Comes with a large capacity hopper
- It is offered at a reasonable price
- Can be used to make cartridges of varying calibers
- It might be difficult to set up for first-time users
- It is quite heavy
Hornady Lock N Load is one of the most reputed progressive reloading press manufacturers in the country. Thus, it should not be surprising that the Auto-progressive reloading press is one of my favorite. While it is costlier than some of its competitors, it offers great value for your money.
MEC 9000GN Progressive: Best Shotshell Reloading Press
Based on price and ease of use MEC 9000Gn is one of the top-selling progressive press of MEC Outdoors. According to the company, this unit can produce 450 rounds per hour.This is a 6 six-stage progressive press and all is automatic. It is available in 12, 16, 20, 28 and 410 bore. The auto index moves the shell through each stage of the reloading automatically.It can resize the shells accurately and after the final crimping, the finished shells ejected automatically from the shell carrier.one of the interesting this about this press is You can convert this to 9000e with the 91/30 conversion kit.
- This progressive press has 6 station and it can perform 10 tasks simultaneously
- Auto-Dex automatic indexing
- finished shell ejection
- Power Ring resizer facilitates accurate shell size
- Power Ring resizer facilitates accurate shell size
- Quality steel construction
- Built to be sturdy and durable
- It is easy to operate for both professionals and beginners
- Lil bit pricey but it worth
So in the final words only I can say this MEC 9000Gn will be a lifetime investment. With its robust construction and 6 stages, automatic features this unit is one the best automatic progressive press in this roundup review
Lee Precision II Shotshell Reloading Press: 12 GA Load All (Multi)
If you are looking to reload shotshells only, there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars on a progressive reloading press. For without spending arms and legs you can get your hands on the Lee precision II reloading press. And I know what you are thinking, at such a price, its quality must be disappointing. Well, that’s what I thought to at first. But after using it for a while, I can confirm that this press produces shells of great quality. In fact, with this press, you will be able to factory quality shells.
- Large plastic hopper: The hopper on this press is capable of accommodating 5 pounds of shot, which translates to 125 rounds
- Handle: The handle makes this press easy and convenient to carry or move
- Built-in primer catcher. This catcher has a door up front which makes it easy to empty primers
- Recesses; There are recesses at every station, which improves and quickens the positioning of the shells
- Can be used to produce 12-gauge, 16-gauge and 20-gauge shells
- It is lightweight and convenient to carry
- Can be adjusted from the 2 shell to the 3-inch shell
- Is capable of producing 200 shells per hour
- The press is largely made of plastic materials
- Can only be used to reload shotgun shells
From its affordable price tag to the quality of its shotshells, there is a lot you can expect from this progressive press. It offers great value for your money.
Dillon Precision 16940 XL 650 223
If you have been scouting for a progressive press, then you know that on average most reloading presses are capable of producing between 400 and 600 rounders per hour. It is therefore fair to say that the Dillon Precision XL650 is not an average press. This easy to operate progressive reloading press is capable of churning out 800 rounds per hour. This press achieves this number thanks to its automatic indexing system. The process of making bullets is semiautomatic. In fact, with this press, you do not have to cast the dies as they stay perfectly in place.
- Removable tool head, which ensures that your dies stay in perfect adjustment. Thus, there is no need to screw them; this greatly speeds up the process.
- Automatic indexing system, with this system there is no need for the manual moving of shell plates, which makes the process easy and fast.
- One powder measure; This powder measure comes with large and small powder bars, with the small bar installed. With the two bars, you can load any powder from 2.1 to 15 grains of powder for the small and 15 to 55 grains for the large one.
- The press is capable of producing between 500 and 800 rounds per hour.
- All the main processes are automatic.
- Produces a wide variety of cartridges for both rifles and handguns
- Comes with the option of adding a bullet and case feeder
- Comes with a 30-day money back guarantee
- Does not come with dies included
- Is costly especially when you add the necessary accessories
To make this progressive press efficient, you will have to buy both the bullet feeder and case feeder. And while this will greatly increase the overall cost of the press, when you consider what you are getting it is worth it. With this press, there is no manual operation. This is the main reason why it tops my list of the best progressive reloading press reviews.
Dillon Precision 16926 XL 650 45 ACP Progressive Auto Indexing Reloading Machine
Sure Dillon Progressive presses are costly; however, their quality is undeniable. That being said the second Dillon press on the list is the 16926 XL 650 ACP. With plenty of positive reviews online, you can never go wrong with the press. Just like the other Dillon XL 650 on this list, this model churns out 800 rounds per hour. This is well above the number of rounds produced by other presses on an hourly basis. The secret to its fast operation is its automatic indexing system and other features.
- Automatic indexing system, this system speeds up the process and gives you the ability to churn out 800 rounds per hour
- In-built Powder drop, this ensures accurate and precise dispensation of powder into each case, meaning that you do not have to manually measure your powder.
- Case feed tube; this tube automatically loads cases for faster reloading
- Plastic ball handle, this handle is the one part you turn when you want to produce your rounds
- Capable of producing up to 800 rounds per hour
- It is easy to operate and assemble
- All the parts are made from high-quality materials
- Can be used to make rounds of differing calibers
- It is quite expensive, especially with the additional accessories
- Does not have dies included
The pricey nature of Dillon progressive presses points to the company’s emphasis on quality. This is the one thing you are guaranteed when you buy the Dillon XL 650 ACP press. And with the addition of accessories such as the case feed motor, your reloading becomes much easier and convenient.
Dillon Precision RL550B Progressive Reloading Machine
The Dillon Precision RL550B Progressive Reloading Machine is the perfect press for beginners. This press is easy to operate and is known for its practicality and simplicity. A 4 stage progressive reloading press, this press can reload up to 120 different ammunition variants. The reason why I placed this last on my list is its manual indexing system. However, this should not discourage you from buying it. On the contrary, it is built for simplicity, and not sophistication as its other siblings on this list are. Also, since the four stations are operated at once, it saves time and can produce 400 to 600 rounds per hour.
- Sturdy 4 stage design, this design is simple and allows you to produce up to 600 rounds per hour, 200 less than its siblings, which is quite impressive for a press built for beginners
- Removable tool head, the tool head makes work easy and there is no need to adjust the dies once they are set up
- Manual indexing system, this system is not automatic but can still churn out a decent number of rounds per hour
- Can produce up to 500 rounds per hour
- Comes with a caliber conversion kit
- It is easy to use
- Does not have dies included
- Maintenance of the press can prove challenging
The last entry into my list may have a manual indexing system, but this is not to say that it is not worth its price tag. On the contrary, built on the foundation of Dillon’s reputation, this reloading press has all the features of a great progressive reloading press. Additionally, it is the perfect press for a newbie.
All the six reloading presses reviewed above have their own uniqueness that earns them a place on the list. Therefore, the best progressive reloading press will depend largely on what you are looking for. If you want quality that is uncompromising any one of the Dillon models will do. On the other hand, if you want a reliable and affordable press for your shotgun shells, the Lee Precision II will be ideal. On the other hand, if you are looking for a cheap progressive reloading press the Lyman is the one you want. In conclusion, this list has something for everyone.
About The Author:
Lake Streeter, A Gun enthusiast, and loves to hunt in the middle of the wood. Always check the latest hunting gears out in the market and try to share his honest opinion with the audience in Hunting Nook.