The AK-47 is probably the most famous gun in history. The gun that is also referred to as the Kalashnikov is loved and hated the world over almost in equal measure. In recent times, companies such as Izhmash have shifted to the production of civilian-grade AK 47.
Based on statistics, 70% of all AK 47 produced today are for civilian use, with 40% of them being shipped to the US. Nonetheless, there is no denying the accuracy and ruggedness of this iconic Soviet rifle.
But just like all other rifles used in military and hunting applications, the AK 47 performs best when paired with a scope. A rifle scope mounted onto your Kalashnikov will greatly improve your aim, especially for long-distance shots. Additionally, the AK 47 is hard to handle, especially without a rifle scope, because of its rather ancient stock iron sights that.
Unfortunately, finding a rifle scope specifically designed for the AK 47 is difficult. This is because this rifle does not come with an out-of-the-box optic. Also, only a few scopes are designed with the AK in mind. It is for this reason that in this article, I will be focusing on the top-quality scope for AK 47.
Therefore, from this article, you will get a selection of 6 best AK 47 rifle scopes that will work great with your Kalashnikov. Additionally, you will get useful tips on selecting the optics for AK 47.
Before going to the in-depth review, let’s have a quick glance at the comparison chart of our top 6 scopes for AK 47.
Quick Comparison Of The Best Scope For AK 47
Last update on 2024-02-22 / Please note that Prices and Availability Are Subject To Change /Paid links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In order to give a detailed and informative review, I tested and tried out a host of different rifle scopes that can fit the Kalashnikov rifle. In our research, I relied heavily on user reviews and product experts. This was in addition to testing different rifle scopes to high-end.
When shopping for a rifle scope, it is important to know what users are saying about different scopes. It is for this reason that I analyzed the reviews of AK 47 users when preparing this article. In this regard, from this article, you will be able to know how the different scopes I have reviewed performed when mounted onto an AK 47.
Factors To Consider When Shopping For The Best AK 47 Scope
For purposes of this review article, I picked a total of six scopes that I found to be compatible with the AK 47. I selected these scopes based on a number of factors. Below are the main factors I considered when selecting these scopes.
Truth be told, rifle scopes are costly. However, when you are shopping for a rifle scope, cost will be an important factor. Thus, the first question to ponder when shopping for a scope is how much you are willing and able to spend on a rifle scope.
There are riflescopes that offer great value for money, while there are those that are just downright expensive. As such, the right scope for your rifle is one that offers a good balance between performance and price.
The number one reason why the AK 47 is loved by many is its ruggedness and durability. Therefore, another important factor to consider is how durable the scope is. In essence, the best scope for an AK 47 is one that will serve you as long as your AK 47 will.
The durability of a rifle scope will depend heavily on its construction. Metals such as aluminum and magnesium are known for being durable and light. As such, rifle scopes made from aluminum offer unrivaled durability. Additionally, some manufacturers cover their rifle scopes with rubber armor to improve their durability.
How reliable is a rifle scope? This is a question that will be important to ponder when shopping for a rifle scope. The best Kalashnikov rifle scopes feature hi-tech features that improve precision and accuracy. In this regard, you will need a rifle scope that you can always rely on, irrespective of weather conditions.
Another indicator of reliability is how consistent a scope is in its performance. Basically, the top-rated scope will be one that performs well at all times of the day.
Best Scopes For The AK 47
Primary Arms 1-6X24 SFP Hunting Scope w/ ACSS 300 BO Reticle
The Primary Arms 1-6x24SFP Hunting scope is one that seems to have been designed to deal with the AK 47’s medium-range shooting problems. In this regard, this scope is ideal for medium-range shooting. Additionally, this scope works well in varying light conditions, courtesy of its brightness knob illumination that offers 12 different brightness settings. The illumination knob is powered by a CR2032 battery. Therefore, this scope is reliable and is built to be tough and durable.
Features That I Liked The Most
- Second focal plane design that gives you quick target acquisition across all magnification levels
- ACSS reticle offers quick ranging and wind holds and is compatible with 300 AAC supersonic and subsonic loads
- 1 to 6X magnification paired with a 24 mm objective lens offers an impressive field of view of I9.50-II0 ft at I00 yards
- 15.05-ounce Light: the scope is light and does not add much Light to the overall Light of your rifle
- Flip-up caps protect the lenses from damage when in use
- The scope is durable and light thanks to its anodized aluminum construction
- Has an impressive field of view of 110 feet at 1X magnification
- Can be used in different light conditions thanks to its illuminated reticle
- Has bright and clear optics and offers great value for money
- The turrets on this scope could be better
This Primary Arms scope works great on the AK 47. Additionally, it offers all the features you would expect from a scope in its price range. In particular, the ACSS reticle proved to be a better reticle compared to some of the Mil-dot reticles I have tested. Overall, this scope offers great value for money.
There is a lot that I can say about this scope. However, I welcome you to check out the scope for yourself and be the judge of its performance and quality.
Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic
Aimpoint is one of the companies whose products I trust 100%. As such, I was eager to try out my Aimpoint Pro Patrol Rifle Optic on one of my friends, AK 47. After all, Aimpoint markets this scope as a versatile scope designed for combat use. Having used this scope on my AR 15, I was curious to find out how easy it was to mount onto an AK 47.
Surprisingly, the scope’s mounting system, with its unique turn knob, was easy to mount. With the scope mounted, I aimed at targets from about 100 yards, and I was able to hit the target, thanks largely to the bright red dot of the scope’s reticle. Also, it features a useful night vision mode. Overall, the scope looks like it was built for the AK 47, which is impressive.
Features That I Liked The Most
- 1/2 MOA adjustment makes it easy to zero in on a target, and the MOA dot is bright enough to be visible in different light conditions
- Anodized aluminum that is rugged and can withstand harsh weather conditions. Also, this housing is waterproof and can be immersed in water for up to 150 ft
- QRP 2 mount: The latter mount snaps in place quickly and does not damage the railing of your gun
- 2 MOA Red dot that provides you with an accurate and precise target engagement
- The scope can withstand extreme temperatures of as low as -49 degrees Fahrenheit and as high as 160 degrees
- The scope is powered by a long-lasting 3-volt battery that can last up to three years
- The scope is rugged and durable and can survive being immersed in water for up to 150 ft
- It is easy to mount onto different rifles
- The large tube of the optic helps to make an acquisition easier
- The mounting knob is overly big and can interfere with aiming at targets
- The scope is more on the higher side in regards to price
The Aimpoint Pro Patrol Rifle Optic is used by law enforcement agencies and even by some sections of the military, which is a testament to its quality. Therefore, while it is relatively pricier compared to other optics, it is a worthy investment, especially considering its features.
If you are still trying to figure out the quality of this scope, then I invite you to check it out and read some of its user reviews to get a glimpse of how satisfied its users are.
Hi-Lux Optics CMR-AK Tactical Scope
Another great scope for your AK 47 is the Hi-Lux Optics CMR-AK tactical scope. Built to be a military-grade scope, this optic boasts of high-quality features such as a fast-aiming horseshoe reticle. Compatible with the 7.62 projectile, this scope is great for close to medium-range shooting. Also, it works great in different light conditions thanks to its illuminated reticle.
Features That I Liked The Most
- 1-4X magnification makes it ideal for both close, medium, and long-range shooting
- Diamond Tuff14 multi-coated lenses offer brightness and sharp images, as well as an impressive light transmission of 96% Green, illuminated reticle dot. This is the only part that is illuminated in the reticle and minimizes distractions, especially for nighttime shooting
- 1/2 MOA adjustment with a patented zero-lock return to zero feature for easy adjusting of the turrets
- Comfortable to use for all; thanks to its 3 inches of eye relief
- The multi-coated lenses offer sharp image quality
- Measures 10.2 inches in length and thus does not take up much space on your rifle
- comes with an illuminated MOA dot for improved nighttime shooting
- It is relatively pricier compared to other scopes and has an overly sensitive eye box
When compared to other scopes on the market, this H-Lux scope has a lot going for it. For starters, it has a wider field of view compared to most other scopes on the market. Therefore, despite its rather hefty price tag, this would make a great scope for your AK 47.
Quality comes at a price. Thus, if you want to learn more about this scope’s quality of performance, check it out for yourself. You are guaranteed to want to buy it right away.
Best Tactical Scope For AK 47: Primary Arms 1-8 X 24mm Scope
The Primary Arms 1-8X 24 mm scope is another scope based on the second focal design. This scope combines the efficiency of the bullet drop compensation with wind holds and leads of moving targets. Since it is a second focal scope, the scope remains the same at all magnifications, which gives it consistency in its performance. Additionally, this design allows you to zero in on targets from any distance quickly. In addition to being a great optical performer, the scope is also rugged and durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions.
Features That I Liked The Most
- Waterproof and fogproof 30 mm tube that can withstand harsh weather conditions
- ACSS reticle: This reticle works great with different rounds, including the .308, 5.45, and 5.56 rounds
- Reticle illumination with 12 different brightness settings provides optimal brightness in different light conditions
- 1-8X magnification; This magnification, combined with the 24 mm objective lens, offers a good field of view and is ideal for close to long-range shooting
- 1/2 MOA adjustments make it easy to adjust the scope’s turrets
- it is offered at a reasonably fair price
- it is easy to mount and detach from a rifle
- it works with a wide array of rounds from the .308 to the 556
- The illuminated reticle offers optimal light for low-light shooting
- The eye relief on this scope is not good
- The BDC does not work well when set at 1X magnification
For anyone looking for a reasonably priced optic that does not compromise on quality, the 1-8X 24 mm scope from Primary Arms is the right scope. This scope offers great value for money and is probably one of the best tactical scopes for AK 47.
The quality of this Primary Arms scope is undeniable. This is a scope I strongly recommend and have faith in. Considering its features, this scope is worth purchasing.
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm Riflescope
When it comes to rifle scopes, Leupold scopes are right up there with the best of the best. One scope that embodies Leupold’s attention to quality is the Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm riflescope. The latter is a light scope built for the popular AR I5 rifle. However, it can also be used on an AK 47. One of the things I love about this scope is how light it is. When compared to some of the other scopes I have used, this Leupold optic is lightweight, which is a huge plus, in my opinion. Apart from being light, this scope also performed exceptionally well both on the range and in the field.
Features That I Liked The Most
- Fire Dot Duplex reticle: This reticle uses mil measurements for windage and elevation and has an illuminated dot center, which is bright enough to see but is not too bright as to be a distraction or an eyesore
- 3-9x40mm magnification offers precise and accurate shooting from close range as well as from medium to long range
- Multicoated lenses: The lenses are coated with four layers of coating that reduce glare and provide a crisp and sharp image quality
- Argon and krypton filled 30 mm tube; The tube is fog and waterproof and thus performs brilliantly in all weather conditions
- it is light and thus will not throw your rifle off balance
- it is easy to use
- It is reasonably priced for a scope with its features
- it is a reliable and durable scope
- it is not ideal for long-range shooting
What makes this scope a standout performer and what earns it a spot on my list is its price-to-quality ratio. Indeed, this scope has features almost similar to more expensive models such as Trijicon models. In this regard, it is an affordable alternative to some of the pricier models available on the market.
While there is a lot to say about this scope, I welcome you to view it online and find out more as to why I picked this rifle scope over other similarly priced scopes.
Nikon M-TACTICAL 3-12X42SF MATTE MK1-MRAD
The Nikon Monarch 3 Tactical riflescope is an impressive scope that outshines its pro staff and Buckmaster counterparts. Built for multipurpose use, this scope can be used on popular rifles such as the AR I5 as well as on the AK 47. The scope combines exceptional image quality with precision adjustment to offer an unrivaled viewing and shooting experience. All the scope’s features are housed inside a rugged and well-constructed housing that is waterproof and fogproof.
Features That I Liked The Most
- 42 mm objective lens offers impressive light transmission. In fact, this scope offers the best light transmission of all the scopes on this list.
- Multi-coated optics. The optics are fully multicoated to offer bright and crisp image quality and minimize glare
- Spring-loaded instant zero-reset turrets. These turrets make adjusting the scope from different distances easy
- 4-12X magnification offers magnification for close range as well as for long-range shooting
- is comfortable to use thanks to its 3.5 inches of eye relief
- has a wide field of view of up to 37.2 inches at 100 yards
- comes with a beautiful matte black finish
- It is rather pricey compared to other scopes
Nikon has been a trustworthy manufacturer of rifle scopes for many years now. In this regard, the company’s products can be trusted to deliver exceptional performance, the Nikon Monarch 3 included. This rifle scope will be worth every penny you spend on it.
The Nikon Monarch line of scopes from Monarch has a good reputation. This is why many people use Nikon Monarch 3 scopes. As such, this scope is one that I highly recommend.
As stated earlier, this is a rifle that has few scopes designed primarily for it. In this regard, you might have to do much research before settling on the best AK 47 scopes. The scopes on this list all work exceptionally well when mounted onto an AK 47. In conclusion, while there are many rifle scopes out there, not all can be fitted on an AK 47.
About The Author:
Lake Streeter, A Gun enthusiast, and loves to hunt in the middle of the wood. Always check the latest hunting gears out in the market and try to share his honest opinion with the audience in Hunting Nook.